Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 5 of 9 - 97km from Winterton to Glengarry.


We finished in 47th place in a time of 5 h01. Our overall position over the 5 days is now 49th.

Stephen and I kind of lost each other at the start this morning. It's hard to believe when you start right at the back. Of course this didn’t help us in our pursuit of glory! Our strategy now is to wake up a little earlier, and at least start halfway down the field. I’m sure that will help.

It’s a funny race, a real roller coaster of emotions and physical ability. Thank goodness Stephen was feeling really strong today and pulled me along, as I wasn’t in as good form as yesterday. Some of the climbs were really nasty. Real spirit breakers! I don't think I have ever experienced such tough climbs. Thankfully we are riding in May and not any earlier in the year as the heat and steep ascents would have only made matters worse.

Races within the race have already started hotting up. Our final push to the finish resulted in a spectacular sprint that didn't quite have the desired result but it was fun anyway and I'm sure will play havoc with our legs during tomorrows stage. I have noticed how people eagerly await the provisional and final results each evening and either ignore us or look over towards us with a lingering grin.

From a beautiful Glengarry in Kamberg, it’s time to get some sleep. I think tomorrow is going to be a really tough climbing stage





No comments:

Post a Comment