Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 6 of 9 - 88km from Glengarry to Underberg


Today we finished 44th in 4 hours 59 minutes. We are now lying 47th overall.

No one mentioned how much of a stinker day 6 would be. Both Stephen and I are suffering with a serious case of bum rash! I’m sure this discomfort will eventually pass. Stephen tells me he has never experienced such steep climbs before. Our 80% strategy continues to pay off.

Tomorrow the ‘girl’s race’ starts. Day 1 of the Sani2c :-) Well that’s what some wise guy once said to me. He clearly didn’t race it but chose rather to doddle along.
Having completed 5 pervious Sani2c's, I feel confident.

I must tell you I'm am seriously concerned about the condition of my backside. I can barely sit on my saddle. Hopefully by tomorrow the pain will have eased somewhat.

A misty cold start at Glengarry


Watering point after the last big climb of the day 


 
Hazeldean - Underberg finish. We knew we were now
on the Sani2c route as we had to for the first time in 
7 days of riding, wash our own bikes and carry our own bags. 
This really wasn't a problem as my ever faithful partner,
Stephen carried my bag to our tent... by mistake of course.
Did I mention it weighed in at just under 30 kg as I was
carring all the spares, tools and medical aid kit.  


Thank goodness for Gert from Complete Cyclist.
The bike mechanics worked their butts off, often until after
midnight and had to be up at the crack of dawn again.
All in all I replaced my rear cassette, chain, gear cables
and had a my big ring panel beated.


The beautiful race village at Hazeldean.




View from our tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment